Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Right now...

I'm glaring at my duffel bag. It's stylish, black, overly large, and apparently not enough for a low-key, two week vacation from life and slavery at an Old Navy.
I hate packing. It's so irksome, having to consider everything I might do, everywhere I might go... let's just say I'm not someone who microscopically considers all of the things one might fill two weeks with. I much prefer living in the moment entirely, letting my days take me where they will. And obviously this requires a much more versatile wardrobe than a little black bag. No matter how stylish.
Life, I think, is not meant to be lived out of a small, pre-planned duffel. It just happens, unfolding as it will. And hopefully from the confines of an extra-large closet. My metaphors are slowly spiraling out of control here, but it's true. I feel as though I need to be dressed for my day, my mood, for what I want to do. Everyone is a little like that. It's why the fashion industry has so much impact, and what makes it a multi-billion dollar business. As Shakespeare once said, life is a stage and we're all the players. Except he said it much more eloquently, and I feel awful using one of the most quoted lines in the history of the English language. But my point. Clothing makes us who we are, it puts us in the right state of mind. There are clothes that are "us" and there are those that are not. I know I wear something trendy when I am feeling particularly cool, and something sophisticated when I feel like a lady. I act differently depending my clothes. You can see these mood shifts in others in the way they carry themselves in new clothes, old clothes, different clothes.
Alright, after saying clothes so many times in the past sentence I have finally admitted to myself something I have been toying with over the past few weeks: I need a vacation.

No comments: