Monday, April 6, 2009

Silly Miley...

Pop is for Michael.
You know, I think my favorite part of the Metric concert I saw was when Emily Haines began to discuss her music, and how everyone was telling her to lighten up. She bemoaned the fact that she couldn't write songs like, "I kissed a girl...". Of course, it was sarcasm, but that's what made it so damn amazing.
Then, just the other day, WBP and I were being bombarded with the sounds of silly pop songs and Miley Cyrus, a fate worse than Katy Perry, being to play. So, it's bad enough that she's brainwashed the minds of 7-13 year olds everywhere, and has become the new generation of Disney Kids, and will probably crash and burn just like the last idol did (Lindsay Lohan, anyone? Or worse, Hillary Duff, so boring she had to date a "badass" member of Good Charlotte). And it's also terrible that her lyrics are less than inspired, and she's 16 and somehow managed to sign record contract after contract, but now she's targeting speech impediments? I mean, really, she's not that classy anyways, what with having a mullet for a father and a backwater town for a home, but to target the speech impaired? It's just cruel.
To quote Miss Cyrus - "The last time I freaked out, I just kept lookin' down/I st-st-stuttered when you asked me what I'm thinkin' bout/Felt like I couldn't breathe, you asked what's wrong with me/". I realize she's talking about prepubsecent boy troubles. But I personally think it's just cruel to make fun of a stutter. I stutter sometimes, for some kids it's actually quite a sensitive issue, one that gets worse when they "freak out" and then feel like they can't breathe. Seriously, Miley, we're dealing with your most sensitive fans.
Pop has become so inane that I'm actually talking about the offensiveness of Miley Cyrus. I could make fun of Katy Perry and her "bold" lyrics (Alanis Morissette has so been there, done that). Or I could talk about the glory days of Michael Jackson, the Prince himself. Back when Billie Jean was just a knocked up chick who swore she had been with him, and when zombie dances were breaking out everywhere. Back when the lyrics were actually something that could be discussed. Like PYT - pretty young thing? What about cougars Michael?
I would even rather talk about the glory days of the boy bands and slutty blondes. God, how I miss Christina and Britney, and does anyone remember when Jess Simpson was lumped in with them? The only thing that keeps me going these days are the JT and Timba pair ups in a sea of High School Musicals.
Let's face it, pop is dead. And Disney Kids murdered it.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Spot on, man... Spot On.

Excellent observations. Well done.

Greg
http://stuttering.me

Pamm said...

Hey, I stutter too, and agree that for kids who stutter, they def don't need to hear a media princess making fun of something that is a unique part of us!